Monday, September 13, 2010

Man, blogs are weird and I run a venue now

Things have been very interesting in the last few months.

I lost my job in the music industry only to end up working for a country music artist. I now work at a winery in Franklin that is co-owned by one Kix Brooks. How very strange indeed. What's even more strange is when he comes in and asks me how I'm doing (in my head, I used to go "EEP!"). I'm sure the name tag on my shirt helps him remember who I am, but that's fine ("EEP!"). The vineyard is a laid back place that involves some outside work, some bar tending and schmoozing and also some live music happenings. I'd be lyin' if I didn't say I really enjoyed it, but I realize that it's only a temporary spot. Not wanting to get too comfortable in what I'm doing there.
Sometimes the work is great, sometimes the work is just below average. I think part of my view on that is the 40 plus minutes that I drive to get to work. That is a little bit of a stinker, but that's alright.

It's a Brite spot in a Darkroom

I also managed to some how fall into managing a venue. I can't express how completely excited I am about this. I've got the first weekend booked and am currently finishing up rest of the month. I've never worked with artists in this capacity before though. I guess I say that because they get real fickle about playing. I realize that it's name recognition of the venue, but at the same time, people know you when you play, not when you sit around and don't. Sometimes I think it's something that artists should do (working on all sides of their profession) so they can see how much of a pain in the ass it can be to get it done. I'm pretty sure that would eliminate the whining that some of them do. The venue itself is a small room with high ceilings and a kick ass sound set up. The capacity is around 70 people or about 60 with chairs (I think). It's part of an open mall area in Nashville called Edgehill Village (this is for my out of state friends). The bathrooms are just down around the corner and there's no bar, but I'll probably bring refreshments that people can donate to if they want. I have a good attitude about it in general. I can't wait to see if I can get this thing off the ground.

I like to wear my state

So, I've bought a domain name for my t-shirts. I'm pretty stoked about it but I'm sure that not a lot of people knew that I was into the idea of making t-shirts. Right now I've got two designs that are up and going and will be shown off soon. I'd like to have seven by the time I launch the website. It's called 9th Gen, an homage to the nine (probably) generations of my family that have lived in Texas. The idea is that it's going to be Texas themed apparel that appeals to non-Texans, which I think is some percentage of the U.S. nation. It's fun so far, but I haven't quite gotten the hang of inspiration yet. While I'm waiting on that, I'm designing my logo. It's simple and I'll show it off eventually too.


1 comment:

Billi London-Gray said...

AWESOME! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

That is all so exciting, Aaron! Look at all the exclamation points you've forced me to use!!!!!!!!!!!!!